Not all of our surrounding states have tolls. Those that do, do not have them on ALL of their highways. For instance, Massachusetts (MA) only has tolls on I-90, the Mass Turnpike. New York’s I-87 has tolls only in select areas, and not the full length of the highway. New Hampshire has tolls on only two highways, and they do not have a state income tax. Rhode Island has truck-only tolls and are in court over it.

An interesting article about the new electronic tolls in MA. If electronic tolls are instituted then an entire new bureaucracy, a toll authority, will be established to collect tolls from those who do not have a transponder. More ways to overspend?

Out-of-state drivers owe MassDOT $15 million in Massachusetts Turnpike tolls under gantry system

Updated Apr 18, 2018; Posted Apr 18, 2018

Here is a listing of all the tolls and toll bridges in New York, primarily New York City. To travel through New York City and down the 1-95 corridor from NYC to Washington, DC., is expensive and honestly, the roads and transit system is not outstanding.


Non-residents will only comprise 30% of the toll revenue. The rest - 70% will come from us, CT residents! Moreover, are we trying to encourage, or discourage tourists to our state?


"Yeah, tolls are going to happen. The gas tax does not fix a state with 90-year-old infrastructure. Business and labor and Democrats and, I think most Republicans in their heart, know that we have to change how we pay for the infrastructure. If I can get out-of-staters to pay for 30 percent of it, all the better.'' Governor -elect Ned Lamont, Hartford Courant, January 6, 2019

That leaves 70% of CT citizens footing the bill.

why don’t we just charge non-residents, or just at entry points into ct?

It’s against federal law to only charge non-residents and only at entry points.

No, Connecticut can’t install border tolls — here’s why

by Marc E. Fitch | Feb 1, 2018 | TransportationYankee News | 

Why don’t we just charge tractor-trailer trucks?

Truck-only tolls not how Conn. should roll

By Dan Haar Published12:00 am EDT, Sunday, July 29, 2018, CT Post

“Things that increase the cost of the trucking industry reverberate through the economy and impact the price of consumer goods,” said Joseph R. Sculley, president of the Motor Transport Association of Connecticut, an affiliate of the American Trucking Associations.

Besides, Sculley said this past week in response to the situation in Rhode Island and comments by Lamont, trucks pay between $26 million and $35 million a year in state taxes as it stands now — a fact lost on many residents.

Then there’s the state’s share of truck registration fees, which, like the fuel tax, is allocated based on miles driven in each state. That accounts for another $12 million to $14 million a year, Sculley said.

Other taxes round out the levies for trucks. They include a $550 annual “heavy vehicle use tax” that goes the the federal government, some of which finds its way to states; and a 12 percent sales tax on new trucks, which, again, is federal but filters to states.

“We make a living on the interstates. We’re willing to pay our fair share,” said John Lynch, senior vice president of the national associations, a federation. “Our first preference would always be fuel taxes.”

Moreover, this will create a “hidden tax” on residents of CT, as the cost of all goods will rise because the the trucking industry will pass the costs of tolls to consumers.

None of us want unsafe roads. But the question begs to be asked, what happens to the over $1 billion dollars in revenue that we give to the State of Connecticut annually? See the graph below to see where that money is spent - all of it for personnel and operating costs. Major projects are funded through the capitol budget that receives funding from the Bonding Commission. Looking at some of the other capitol expenditures, maybe those can be delayed or should be placed in the operating budget. Bottom line is reduce the overhead and size of the state government and make safety, security and infrastructure the state’s priority.

We may agree that more money is needed, but we have not heard what will be reduced first or do we believe that our money is managed wisely. Until then, NOT ONE MORE CENT!



Won’t revenue designated for the Special Transportation Fund go into a special “lock box” that the General Assembly can only use for transportation costs?

What happened to the special transportation taxes and fees that we’ve been paying for years that were supposed to go into the Special Transportation Fund designated for infrastructure? Hartford has siphoned off the money for “pet projects”, special interests needs. They have mismanaged our infrastructure funds.